Nutrients per serving
- Protein: 29 grams
- Fat: 10 grams
- Carbohydrates: 57.5 gramss
- Calories: 436
Turkey Pot Pie with Tea Biscuit Crust
This updated lower-fat version of an old favourite uses biscuit mix for the top crust and cream soup for the sauce. Teaming the microwave to cook the vegetables and the conventional oven for a golden crust streamlines this one-dish dinner.
Cooking Time: 30 to 40 minutes
- 2 medium Ontario Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium Ontario Carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 large Ontario Onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chicken broth
- 2 cups (500 mL) cubed cooked turkey or chicken
- 1 cup (250 mL) quartered Ontario Mushrooms
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 can (10 oz/284 mL) cream of chicken soup (or celery, mushroom or potato)
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried thyme leaves
- Pinch black pepper
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) tea biscuit mix
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh parsley (or 1 tbsp/15 mL dried)
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) milk
In 8 cup (2 L) round microwavable heatproof casserole, combine potatoes, carrots, onion and chicken broth. Cover and microwave at High for 10 to 12 minutes or until vegetables are almost tender, stirring twice during cooking. Stir in turkey, mushrooms, peas, soup, thyme and pepper until evenly combined, smoothing top. Set aside.
In small bowl, combine biscuit mix and parsley; stir in just enough milk to make a soft, sticky dough. Turn out onto floured surface and knead 6 to 8 times. Roll or pat into circle to fit casserole. Place dough on filling (don't worry if it falls apart, just pat together). Cut a few steam slits in topping.
Bake in preheated 400°F (200°C) oven until top is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 20 to 25 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Microwave recipes tested in a 700-watt microwave oven. Power level terminology in microwave ovens varies; check your owner's manual and use whichever word or number gives you the same percentages as in the recipe (High is always 100%). If your oven differs, cooking times may vary.