Nutrients per serving
- Protein: 5.0 grams
- Fat: 16.0 grams
- Carbohydrate: 27.0 grams
- Calories: 267
- Fibre 4.0 grams
Barley Greek Salad
This salad delights the senses and brings the anticipation of barbecue season ahead. Adding steak spice and red cabbage to a traditional Greek salad delights the eyes and the taste buds. Look for salt-free steak spice mixtures at your local grocery store.
Cooking Time: 20 to 25 minutes
- 4 cups (1 L) water
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) pot barley, rinsed well
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) diced Ontario Greenhouse Tomatoes (about 2)
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced Ontario Greenhouse Sweet Red Pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped Ontario Red Cabbage
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped Ontario Greenhouse Cucumber (about half)
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) unsalted steak spice
- 4 Ontario Greenhouse Lettuce Leaves 1/4 cup (50 mL) crumbled Ontario Feta Cheese
In medium saucepan, bring water and barley to boil over high heat. Cover and reduce heat to low; simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until desired tenderness. Drain well and rinse under cold water; drain again.
Meanwhile, in 8-cup (2 L) salad bowl, combine tomatoes, red pepper, cabbage, cucumber and green onions; add cooled barley. Sprinkle with olive oil, lemon juice and steak spice; toss to combine.
Line each of 4 plates with lettuce leaf; top with 1-1/2 to 2 cups (375 to 500 mL) salad. Sprinkle each with 1 tbsp (15 mL) feta cheese. Serve immediately.