Nutrients per serving
- (when recipe serves 6)
- Protein: 22.5 grams
- Fat: 13.0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 38.0 grams
- Calories: 359
Baked Cabbage-Roll Skillet Supper
All the honey flavour of long-simmered cabbage rolls is captured in under a half-hour in this fast stir-together dinner.
4 to 6
- 1 lb (500 g) medium ground beef or pork
- 2 cloves Ontario Garlic, crushed
- 1 large Ontario Onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 can (14 oz / 398 mL) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) water
- 1 cup (250 mL) 5-minute rice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) paprika
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried dillweed
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each of salt and pepper
- 1/2-head Ontario Cabbage
- Sour cream
In large, wide saucepan over medium heat, cook meat and garlic, stirring often with fork to keep meat crumbly. Add 1 or 2 tsp (5 or 10 mL) of vegetable oil, if meat sticks.
Stir in onion and cook until meat loses its redness, a total of about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce, water, rice, paprika, dillweed, salt and pepper; cover and bring to a boil.
Meanwhile slice cabbage in 1- x 3-inch (2.5 x 8 cm) strips. Stir into meat mixture. Cover tightly and reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring often, until rice and cabbage are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve with sour cream.