Nutrients per serving
- (when recipe serves 8)
- Protein: 21.0 grams
- Fat: 10.0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 28.0 grams
- Calories: 286
- Fibre: 3.5 grams
Maple Ham and Asparagus Strata
This overnight omelette is great for holidays, weekends and travelling to the cottage. Prepare it in advance so you can enjoy your morning coffee and newspaper while it bakes. Find a whole wheat baguette in the bakery section of most grocery stores. Shred a blend of light cheeses in your food processor and store in a resealable bag to have on hand for pizzas, quesadillas and sandwiches.
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Servings: 6 to 8
- 10 to 12 stalks Ontario Asparagus (approx 2 cups / 500 mL)
- 1 whole wheat baguette (325 g approx)
- 1 cup (250 mL) finely diced maple ham
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded light cheeses (Havarti, Swiss, Parmesan, Cheddar, Friulano or a blend)
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) finely chpped green onion
- 3 Ontario Eggs
- 3 Ontario Egg Whites
- 2-1/2 cups (625 mL) 1% milk
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) each salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
Wash and trim asparagus. Place in shallow heatproof dish and cover with boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. Chop remaining stalks into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces to make about 2 cups (500 mL).
Cut or tear baguette into cubes; spread in greased 13- x 9-inch (3 L) baking dish. Evenly spread chopped asparagus, ham and shredded cheese in dish; sprinkle with green onions.
In bowl, beat eggs with egg whites. Add milk, mustard, salt and pepper; pour over bread mixture, pressing and smoothing top. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and for up to 12 hours. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese (if using). Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for 1 hour or until golden. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.