Nutrients per serving
Protein: 25 grams
Carbohydrates: 55 grams
Fat: 14 grams
Grilled Chicken & Asparagus Pasta Toss
Cooking Time: 20-25 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
- 1 whole head of Ontario Garlic
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each pepper and granulated sugar Salad:
- 2 boneless skinless Ontario Chicken Breasts (or 12 oz/375 g boneless thighs)
- Olive oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1 lb (500 g) Ontario Asparagus
- 1 Ontario Greenhouse Sweet Yellow Pepper, quartered and seeded
- 12 oz (375 g) penne, rotini or fusilli pasta
- 12 to 16 Ontario Greenhouse Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) fresh basil leaves, torn
Dressing: Cut top quarter off garlic head; peel off some papery skin. Rub with oil and microwave in a small dish, loosely covered, at Medium (50% power) for 2 minutes. Wrap with foil and place on grill over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until soft when squeezed. Let cool; squeeze cloves into bowl. Add salt and mash with fork. Whisk in vinegar, pepper and sugar. Slowly whisk in remaining olive oil.
Salad: Meanwhile, trim excess fat from chicken; lightly brush with oil and sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Break asparagus stalks; discard ends and toss with olive oil. Place chicken, asparagus and yellow pepper on greased grill over medium heat; cook until chicken is tender and juices run clear and vegetables are tender-crisp, 10 to 15 minutes. Keep warm on upper rack.
Cook pasta until tender, drain (don't rinse) and place in large bowl. Slice chicken and pepper into strips; cut asparagus into pieces. Add to pasta with tomatoes and basil. Pour dressing over top and toss well; serve warm.
Tip: Italian seasoning is a blend of marjoram, thyme, rosemary, savory, sage, oregano and basil.