- Ontario veal is packed with goodness, including four power nutrients to keep you energized and rev up your brain power: protein, iron, zinc and vitamin B12.
- Ontario veal + a barbecue = sizzle! Wondering how the brown grill marks appear? The protein in the veal mixes with the meat’s natural sugars, making grill marks— this is called the “Maillard reaction.” Marvellous!
What percentage of Canada’s veal calves are raised in Ontario?
Zippy Parmesan Veal Sandwich
Help your mom or dad plan a meal next week. How about a sandwich made with delicious Ontario veal? Enjoy it with a crispy salad or crunchy feast of Ontario carrots, tomatoes and cucumbers.
Makes 4 servings.
Takes 30 minutes.
You’ll need an adult’s help.
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh toasted breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) each minced fresh Ontario Parsley and Basil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large Ontario Egg
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) milk
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) garlic powder
- 4 Ontario Veal Leg Cutlets (about 12 oz/375 g)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (125 mL) mayonnaise
- 1 tsp (5 mL) hot sauce
- 4 ciabatta buns, cut in half
- 4 Ontario Greenhouse Lettuce Leaves
- 4 slices Ontario Pepper-Jack Cheese
- Ontario Greenhouse Tomato Slices
What to do:
- In large shallow dish such as a pie plate, mix together bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, basil, and salt and pepper to taste.
- In second shallow dish, mix egg and milk.
- In third shallow dish, mix flour and garlic powder. Set aside.
- Working with 1 cutlet at a time, dredge in flour mixture, shaking off any extra. Dip in egg mixture. Dip in bread crumb mixture, turning to coat and lightly pressing. Put it on a wire rack to dry for 5 minutes.
- In a large nonstick skillet and in two batches, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook cutlets until crisp and golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, stir together green onions, mayonnaise and hot sauce. Spread buns with mayonnaise mixture. Top with lettuce, cheese, veal and tomato slices.