Photo Courtesy of Holland Marsh Growers' Association
- Potatoes are cool not only because they were the first vegetable to be grown in space, but because they are nutritious, delicious and not costly. It’s no surprise that they are Ontario’s largest fresh vegetable crop!
- Tell your parents not to peel away all the goodness in those potato skins! Eat them. They add flavour and nutrients. Ever tried smashed potatoes? That’s mashed potatoes with the skins left on.
Spuds, taters, potatoes! Call them what you will, it’s true they all grow underground. Now can you find the false statement here?
- a) Potatoes when stored at the right temperature can last for 11 months.
- b) Potatoes grow from tiny potato seeds.
- c) Potatoes are often sold in paper bags to block out light which can make them turn green.
(Potatoes are actually grown from “seed potatoes” that are specially grown potatoes which sprout into potato plants)
Pizza Potato Pie
Spring this idea on your mom or pops the next time they ask what you want for dinner: potato pizzas. Tell them all you need to do is cook an Ontario potato in the microwave, slice it in half length-wise, add your favourite pizza toppings, throw in some leftover Ontario meat for protein, then broil it in the oven until bubbly hot.