Photo Courtesy of Holland Marsh Growers' Association
- Broccoli is related to the cabbage and cauliflower. Cool family tree! More than 70% of the broccoli grown in Ontario is a type called Paragon.
- Great reasons to make broccoli your BFF: Half a cup of cooked broccoli has about 2 grams of fibre and is a source of vitamin C.
The word “broccoli” comes from the Latin word “brachium,” meaning “arm.” Broccoli was first grown in which European country?
- a) Austria
- b) Germany
- c) Italy
- d) France
(Broccoli was grown mainly in Italy from the Roman Empire until the 16th century, when a royal marriage brought it to France.)
Get creative with your quesadillas and add Ontario broccoli to mix up your fillings. Perfect to make when a buddy comes to visit.
- Small whole-wheat tortillas
- Your favourite shredded Ontario cheese
- Sliced Ontario tomato
- Chopped Ontario broccoli florets
What to do:
- Sprinkle the tortilla with shredded Ontario cheese.
- Top with Ontario tomato and Ontario broccoli.
- Microwave until cheese begins to melt. Roll up and enjoy!