Nutrients per serving
- (when recipe serves 6)
- Protein: 43.0 grams
- Fat: 12.0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 19.0 grams
- Calories: 370
- Source of Fibre
- Rhubarb Apple Chutney
- (2tbsp/25 mL)
- Carbohydrates: 7.0 grams
- Calories: 28
Rhubarb Apple Chutney Roast Pork with Mustard Maple Glaze
For the first long weekend of summer, cook a succulent pork roast on the barbecue along with crispy grilled potato wedges. Serve the roast with Rhubarb Apple Chutney, and round out the menu with a green vegetable.
Cooking Time: Not available
Grilling Time: 1 to 1-1/2 hours
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive or vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried thyme leaves
- A pinch each of salt and pepper (approx)
- 3 ib (1.5 kg) boneless Ontario Pork loin roast (centre cut)
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) each of Dijon mustard and maple syrup
- 6 medium Ontario potatoes, about 1-1/2 lbs (750 g)
- Rhubarb Apple Chutney (recipe follows)
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped Ontario Rhubarb (about 8 oz/250 g)
- 1 small Ontario Onion, diced
- 1 small Ontario Apple, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each of salt, dired thyme and dry mustard
- A pinch of pepper
Rhubarb Apple Chutney:
Combine 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper; rub all over pork. Cook roast on greased grill over indirect medium heat until internal temperature reaches 155°F (70°C) on meat thermometer, about 1-1/2 hours. During last 20 minutes of cooking, mix mustard with maple syrup; brush over roast.
Meanwhile, scrub potatoes; cut into wedges. Toss with remaining oil, salt and pepper. Place in grill basket and cook over direct heat (beside roast) until tender, but crisp and golden, 30 to 40 minutes, shaking potatoes occasionally for even browning. Remove to craving board; cover with foil and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.
Rhubarb Apple Chutney:
This can be made ahead and served at room temperature with roast.
In nonreactive saucepan, combine rhubarb, onion, apple, sugar, vinegar, cumin, salt, thyme, mustard and pepper; bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until rhubarb has softened but still has some texture, about 2 minutes. Let cool. Store in airtight container in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Makes about 1-1/2 cups (375 mL).