Nutrients per serving
- (with 1/3 cups/75 mL Honey Lemon Yogurt Sauce)
- Protein: 5.0 grams
- Fat: 9.5 grams
- Carbohydrates: 62.0 grams
- Calories: 354
- (when recipe serves 8 and without Honey Lemon Yogurt Sauce)
- Protein: 2.0 grams
- Fat: 9.0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 40.0 grams
- Calories: 249
Old-Fashioned Bottom-Crust Rhubarb Pie
Ontario Rhubarb with its rosy colour and tart flavour make it a favourite for pies, tarts and cakes, to say nothing of conserves, cobblers and the like. Here's an easy old-fashioned pie recipe that doesn't require any skill with pastry -- no crimping or shaping needed. Serve it with the Honey Lemon Yogurt Sauce, for an irresistible combination!
Cooking Time: 35 to 40 Minutes
Servings: 1 pie
- Pastry for single-crust 9-inch (23 cm) pie
- Honey Lemon Yogurt Sauce
- 5 cups (1.25 L) 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces Ontario Rhubarb
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) water
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp (50 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) rolled oats
- 1-1/4 cups (300 mL) vanilla yogurt
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) Ontario Liquid Honey
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) grated lemon rind
Filling: In large saucepan, place rhubarb and water. Stir together sugar and flour; add to rhubarb. Cook over medium heat until boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until rhubarb is barely tender, about 5 minutes. (Do not cook until rhubarb is mushy.) Set aside.
Topping: In bowl, combine butter, sugar, flour and rolled oats. With fingertips, blend until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
On lightly floured surface, roll out pastry into 12-inch (30 cm) circle; fit into 9-inch (23 cm) pie plate, leaving overhang. Spread filling in prepared shell. Sprinkle with topping. Fold pastry overhang over filling. Bake in 350ºF (180ºC) oven 35 to 40 minutes or until bubbling and crust is golden. Serve warm or cool with Honey Lemon Yogurt Sauce.
Honey Lemon Yogurt Sauce: Makes 1-1/3 cups (325 mL)
In small bowl, stir together vanilla yogurt, liquid honey and grated lemon rind until well combined. Refrigerate until serving time.