Nutrients per serving
- (1 tbsp (15 mL)
- Protein: 0.0 grams
- Fat: 0.0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 12.5 grams
- Calories: 50
Plum and Ginger Microwave Jam
From start to finish, this small batch of ginger-spiked jam can be ready to sample in less than 45 minutes. Pitted Ontario Blue Plums are microwaved with just three other ingredients to create a jam which is perfect with breakfast toast or scones at tea time.
Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
Servings: about 2 cups (500 mL)
- 8 large Ontario Blue Plums (1-1/4 lb, 625 g), pitted
- 1-3/4 cup (425 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) finely chopped preserved ginger
In food processor or by hand, finely chop plums to make 2-1/2 cup (625 mL). Transfer to 8 cup (2 L) measure or deep microwaveable casserole; stir in sugar and lemon juice. Microwave, uncovered, at High for 6 minutes, stir in ginger. Microwave at High for 10 to 15 minutes longer or until jam thickens and sets.*
Pour jam into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-inch (5 mm) headspace. Seal with two-piece metal lids prepared according to manufacturer's directions. Store in cool, dark, dry place. Refrigerate after opening. (Alternatively, to use immediately, cover with clean lid and store in refrigerator for up to 3 months.)
* To test for setting point: Place two small plates in freezer to chill before making jam. When jam appears thickened, remove from microwave and drop about 1/2 tsp (2 mL) jam onto plate. Return to freezer for 2 minutes. Run fingertip through jam on plate; if surface wrinkles, setting point has been reached. If sample remains syrupy, continue microwaving jam, repeating test every 30 seconds using colder plate.
Note: Microwave recipes tested in a 700-watt microwave oven. Power level terminology in microwave ovens varies; check your owners manual and use whichever word or number gives you the same percentages as in the recipes (High is always 100%). If your oven differs, cooking times may vary.