Nutrients per serving
- Protein: 6.0 grams
- Fat: 8.0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 36.0 grams
- Calories: 240
Asian Noodles and Vegetable Salad with Plums
When it's just too hot to cook, try this essentially no-cook salad. It has bright flavours, colours and is loaded with healthy vegetables and fruit, so feel virtuous while keeping cool. If you have some leftover grilled meat, slice it up or dice firm tofu and add. This is one of those recipes that almost anything goes - if you have or prefer cucumber, bean sprouts or zucchini, use them.
Cooking Time: Not available
Servings: 4 Main courses
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) each rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, Oriental chili garlic sauce and vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) sesame oil
- 1 pkg (350 g) thin chow mein steamed noodles*
- 2 Ontario Carrots, diagonally sliced
- 1 Ontario Sweet Red Pepper (such as Sheppard), julienned
- 3 or 4 ripe firm Ontario Black or Red Plums, pitted and slivered
- 4 Ontario Green Onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) peanuts, optional
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) approx chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and pepper
Dressing: In small bowl, stir together vinegar, soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, vegetable oil, ginger and sesame oil. Set aside.
Salad: In large heatproof bowl, separate noodles; add carrots and red pepper. Cover with boiling water; let stand for 3 to 4 minutes or until noodles are softened. Drain in large colander and return to large bowl. Cut noodles with kitchen scissors to make them easier to toss and eat. Add plums and green onions; pour dressing overtop and toss well. Add peanuts (if using) and cilantro; toss again. Taste and season with salt and pepper and more cilantro, as needed.*These egg noodles are in a sealed vac pack, usually in the refrigerated area of the produce section.