Nutrients per serving
- Protein: 5.0 grams
- Fat: 17.0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 56.0 grams
- Calories: 390
- Source of fibre
Pear and Cranberry Squares
Fresh pears and cranberries with crunchy walnuts make up the delicious, slightly tart filling for our fall-time fruit squares. The base and topping is similar to date squares but have a touch of ginger for pizzazz.
Cooking Time: Not Available
Baking Time: 35 to 45 Minutes
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) quick-cooking rolled oats (not instant)
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) soft butter or margarine
- 3 cups (750 mL) diced peeled cored Ontario Pears
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) fresh or frozen Ontario Cranberries
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) each finely grated lemon rind and lemon juice
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) chopped walnuts
In large bowl, mix together oats, flour, brown sugar, ginger and salt. Using pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Press 2-1/2 cups (625 mL) of the crumbs into lightly greased 9-inch (2.5 L) square cake pan. Reserve remaining crumbs for top.
Filling: In medium saucepan, mix together pears, cranberries, sugar, lemon rind and juice. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently; simmer for 10 minutes or until pears are tender. Let cool slightly. Stir in walnuts.
Spread filling over base. Sprinkle remaining crumbs over top. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for 30 to 35 minutes until brown at edges and golden brown in centre. Let cool; cut into squares.